Treasures New and Old
Elkmont Baptist Church
Beloved: Grace and Peace
Holding Fast to Our Faith
Hold Fast Verses
May God bless you all!
[computer software] . Franklin, TN: Equipping Ministries Foundation. (Original work published 1890)
Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries.
Meyers, R. (2005). e-Sword.
"And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job,
none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that
feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth [H2388] fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause."
"My righteousness I hold [H2388] fast, and will not let it go: my heart
shall not reproach
so long as I live."
is this people of Jerusalem slid back by a perpetual
backsliding? they hold [H2388] fast deceit, they refuse to return."
Proverbs 4:13 (bold added):
Take fast hold of instruction
keep her; for she
1 Thessalonians 5:21 (bold added):
"Prove all things;
which is good
2 Thessalonians 2:15 (bold added):
"Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and
hold the traditions which ye have been taught
, whether by word, or our epistle."
2 Timothy 1:13, 14:
"Hold [G2192] fast the form of sound words, which thou hast
heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us."
Titus 1:7-9 (bold added):
For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
Holding fast the
as he hath been taught, they he may be able by sound doctrine
"But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if
we hold [G2722] fast [G2722] the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end."
"Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into
the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold [G2902] fast
"Let us hold [G2722] fast [G2722] the profession of
without wavering; (for he
faithful that promised;)"
"[To the church at Pergamos] I know thy works and where thou
where Satan's seat
: and thou holdest [G2902] fast my name,
and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas
martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."
"[To the church at Thyatira] But that which ye have
hold [G2902] fast till I come."
Revelations 3:2-3 (bold added):
[To the church at Sardis] Be watchful, andstrengthen the things which remain that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast
repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
Revelations 3:11 (bold added):
"[To the church of Philadelphia] Behold, I come
hold that fast
which thou hast
, that no man take thy crown."
Some Hold Fast Definitions
: "A primitive root; to
strengthen, cure, help, repair, fortify
aid, amend, X calker, catch, cleave, confirm, be constant,
constrain, continue, be of good (take) courage (-ous, -ly), encourage (self), be established, fasten, force, fortify, make hard, harden, help, (lay) hold (fast), lean, maintain, play the man, mend become (wax) mighty, prevail, be recovered, repair, retain, seize, be (wax) sore, strengten (self), be stout, be (make, shew, wax) strong (-er), be sure, take (hold), be urgent, behave self valiantly, withstand."
: "From G473 and the middle of G2192; to
is, (by implication) adhere
; by extension to
for: - hold fast, hold to, support"
"verb, 3rd person plural, present, indicative, active (Gilbrant,
Complete Biblical Library Interlinear Bible
) ". . . to hold (used in very various
applications, literal or figurative, direct or remote; such as possession, ability, contiguity, relation or condition) :- be (able, x hold, possessed with), accompany, + begin to amend, can (+ -not), x conceive, count, diseased, do, + eat, + enjoy, + fear, following, have, hold, keep, + lack, + go to law, lie, + must needs, + of necessity, + need, next, + recover, + reign, + rest, return, x sick, take for, + tremble, + uncircumcised, use." Total KJV occurrences: 712; have 613; be 22; need + <G5532> 12;
63, vr have 2.
: "from <G2596> (kata) and <G2192> (echo), to
various applications (literal or figurative) :- have, hold, (fast), keep (in memory), let, x make toward, possess, retain, seize on, stay, take, withhold." Total KJV occurrences: 19; hold 3; hold fast 3; etc. (Wordsearch's Strong's G2722).
: "from <G2904> (kratos); to
figurative) :- hold (by, fast), keep, lay hand (hold) on, obtain, retain, take (by)." Total KJV occurrences: 47; hold 12; take 9; etc. (Wordsearch's Strong's G2902).
; perhaps akin to <G2334> (theoreo)); to
, properly by keeping
upon; and thus differing from
<G5442> (phulasso), which is properly to
escaping; and from <G2892>
(koustodia), which implies a
or full military lines of apparatus), i.e. to
(a prophecy; figurative to
a command); by implication to
); by extension to
(for personal ends; figurative to
) :- hold fast, keep (-er), (pre-, re-) serve, watch." Total KJV
occurrences: 75; keep 57; reserve 8; etc. (Wordsearch's Strong's G5083).
: "from <G5083> (tereo); a
, i.e. (figurative)
:- hold." Total KJV occurrences: 3; hold 1; prison 1; keeping 1
(Wordsearch's Strong's G5084).
Hold Fast Instructions
Ways to "Hold Fast":
1) To seize on to and not let go, to take hold of, to grasp, to have power over, to rule over
2) To keep the item before you in memory
3) To watch like a guard in order to prevent theft
4) To care for or nurture in order to keep it alive and viable, or better yet, alive and thriving
5) To be a warden, to keep an eye on such as a prisoner so there is no escape, to watch, to keep, to obey
6) To have or hold, to retain, or hold down
7) To have and hold, as a continued possession, particularly and primarily to have in one's hands, to hold in the hand
Things to "Hold Fast":
1) Christ's name - His reputation, character, and person
2) Sound words, faithful words, particularly that which was committed unto you through the Holy Spirit via godly men
3) Sound doctrine, by which you are able to navigate through the decisions in life, to know the will of God, and to stand when all around you is in turmoil
4) The confidence and rejoicing that we have in Christ, the hope of our salvation
5) The profession of our faith, always ready to give a reason for the hope that lies within you
6) That which you have received and heard already
7) Take fast hold of instruction
8) Hold fast to that which is good
9) Hold the traditions which you have been taught
10) Hold fast our profession
11) Remember, therefore, how you have received and heard, and hold fast
12) Hold fast which you have
Penalty to Backsliding:
1) You will hold on to deceit
2) You will not easily repent and return
3) You will become your own standard, and you will become darkened
4) You will become like those of Laodicea, needing to buy from Christ that which you have lost
Why Do We Hold Fast?
1) Instructions is your life
2) Good things are proven, endure, and are from the Father of Lights
3) That we may stand fast in what we were taught
4) That we may walk in sound words, in faith, and love in Christ Jesus
5) We are Christ's house rejoicing with hope firm unto the end (Hebrews 3:6)
6) That our profession remains until the end
7) That the profession of our faith is without wavering and faithful
8) And he that overcomes, and keeps Christ's works unto the end, to him will He give power over the nations:
9) That Jesus does not come on us as a thief, and we are embarrassed before Him and found wanting
10) That no man take your crown
What Do We Have Here to Hold Fast to?
1) Our calling
2) Our election
3) Our testimony
4) Our ministry
5) God's Word and truth
6) God's promises
7) Each other
Hold Fast Memories (bold added)
"Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the
look unto the rock
ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit
ye are digged
in chariots, and some in horses: but we will
the name of the LORD
remember thee upon my bed
meditate on thee
"And I said, This
but I will
the years of
the right hand of the most High
"To such as keep his covenant, and to those that
commandments to do them
Psalm 105:5: "Remember his marvelous works that he hath done; his wonders, and the judgments of his mouth;"
Psalm 143:5: "I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands."
"I have showed you all things, how that so laboring ye ought to
support the weak, and to
remember the words of the Lord Jesus
, how he said,
It is more blessed to give than to receive."
that we should
remember the poor
; the same
which I also was forward to do."
Remember them that are in bonds
, as bound with them;
them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body."
Remember them which have the rule over you
, who have
spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and
, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will
remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent."
both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
(Wordsearch's Strong's G2192).
Wordsearch Bible. [computer software] . Nashville, TN: LifeWay Christian Resources. (Original work published 1890)
Strong's Talking Greek_Hebrew Dictionary.